Home > Conducting from the piano
Conducting from the piano
The Competition "Conducting from the Piano" invites professional piano-conductors and conducting pianists and those currently enrolled at a conservatory or university of music up to age 32 (born before August 26, 1986) to compete.
A total of three public rounds will be held in Meiningen between August 28 and September 1, 2018. From the semi-final round onward, participants will perform the concerto repertory with the Meiningen Court Orchestra while conducting from the piano. All rounds will be evaluated by the jury. From the semi-final round onward, the orchestra and General Music Director Philippe Bach will also have one jury vote each. The winners will perform in a festive final concert on September 1, 2018 with the Meiningen Court Orchestra.
- 1st round: 20 minutes, solo piano repertory of choice
- 2nd round: 20 minutes, piano concerto conducted from the piano
- Final round: 30 minutes, piano concerto conducted from the piano
There will be a participation fee of € 200 and a one-time processing fee of € 30. In case of cancellation by the participant before July 23, 2018, the participation fee will be refunded. The processing fee is non-refundable.
In the preliminary round, participants of the Conducting from the piano competition may choose their repertory freely from the entire body of solo piano literature. When multi-movement works are chosen, individual movements can be selected for performance. However, the entire work must be prepared.
From the semi-final round onward, participants will rehearse the piano concerto with orchestra. The jury, which, in this case, also includes the General Music Director of the Meiningen Court Orchestra and the orchestra itself (one vote each), will evaluate the rehearsal (semi-final round) and choose the movements to be performed in the final round, during which the movement(s) will be played without interruption.
For the Conducting from the piano competition, you may choose from the following piano concertos:
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, op. 15
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major, op. 19
- Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 3 in c minor, op. 37
- Wolfgang Amadeus von Mozart, Piano Concerto in d minor, K 466
- Wolfgang Amadeus von Mozart, Piano Concerto in A major, K 488
- Wolfgang Amadeus von Mozart, Piano Concerto in B-flat major, K 595
Time Schedule of the Conducting from the Piano Competition
The three competition rounds are public and will take place at the Schlosskirche of Elisabethenburg Castle (preliminary round) and the Theater of Meiningen (semi-final and final rounds), respectively. From the semi-final round onward, participants will perform with the Meiningen Court Orchestra. The winners will be presented in a final concert with the Meiningen Court Orchestra, during which they will receive their awards.
All times are tentative. Minor scheduling changes may occur.
Tuesday, August 28, 2018
• 10 am — 1 pm: arrival, registration, organizational matters, practice opportunities
• 2 — 7 pm: 1st round (solo repertory) followed by announcement of semi-finalists
Wednesday, August 29, 2018
• 7 — 10 pm: 2nd round with the Meiningen Court Orchestra, announcement of finalists
Thursday, August 30, 2018
• 7 — 10 pm: final round with the Meiningen Court Orchestra, announcement of winners
Friday, August 31, 2018
• 8 pm: festive awardees concert of the Professional competition (solo repertory) with awards ceremony and reception
Saturday, September 1, 2018
• starting at 10 am: dress rehearsal with the Meiningen Court Orchestra
• 7:30 pm: festive awardees concert with the Meiningen Court Orchestra and winners of the Amateur and Professional competitions; awards ceremony and reception
Each competition category offers attractive monetary and non-monetary prizes. In addition to the regular prizes, there will be special awards and follow-up concerts.
- 1st Prize Conducting from the piano competition: € 4,000
- 2nd Prize Conducting from the piano competition: € 2,000
- 3rd Prize Conducting from the piano competition: € 750
Other special prizes in planning:
- There will be an Audience Choice Award for all awardees concerts in the amount of € 250 each.
- Follow-up concerts